Do You Need Emergency Dental Care?
Experiencing a sudden or severe dental problem can understandably be frightening. Oftentimes, patients are uncertain about if they should seek immediate treatment for their dental concerns, particularly if it is outside of normal business hours. Even when patients do attempt to get care for a dental emergency, it is often difficult to find a provider with last-minute availability. At Elegant Smiles in Las Vegas, NV, Dr. Eileen Huynh understands the critical nature of dental emergencies and sets aside time in the schedule for same-day appointments and after-hours visits to help patients experiencing serious, painful, or time-sensitive dental issues. In this blog, we’ll discuss what signs and symptoms may mean an emergency dental care visit is appropriate and necessary.
When is a dental problem considered an emergency?
In some cases, an acute dental problem can wait to be treated. For example, a minor chip or a purely cosmetic issue is not typically considered urgent. However, there are a number of dental problems that should be evaluated and treated as quickly as possible to prevent worsening symptoms or more serious complications. Some of the most common dental emergencies include:
- Dental/oral trauma: If a patient experiences trauma – such as a sports-related injury – that results in a loose tooth, the loss of a tooth, or damage to the teeth, bones, and other oral structures – it is important to seek care as soon as possible. In some cases, even when a tooth has been knocked out completely, it may be able to be “saved” with immediate treatment.
- Loose tooth (adults): Any time an adult notices that they have a loose tooth, particularly without trauma or another explanation, they should seek immediate dental care to determine the underlying cause of their symptoms so that appropriate treatment can be undertaken as soon as possible.
- Cracked tooth: Not only can a cracked tooth cause intense pain, but it can also leave delicate structures exposed to bacteria and increase the patient’s risk for an infection.
- Lost filling: Should a filling fall out, the tooth is also left exposed to bacteria, which can lead to infection, decay, and other problems.
- Severe tooth pain: If you are experiencing severe dental pain, it may be a sign of an abscessed tooth, a foreign object, an endodontic emergency requiring a root canal, or another time-sensitive issue that requires urgent treatment.
- Bleeding: Unexplained or uncontrollable oral bleeding may be a sign of a critical dental emergency that should be evaluated as quickly as possible.
It is important to note that patients experiencing a life-threatening emergency – or patients who are unable to find immediate dental care for their dental emergency – should visit their nearest ER or urgent care.
Where can I get same-day dental care?
If you are experiencing a dental emergency, don’t hesitate to call Elegant Smiles. We are proud to set time aside in our schedule each day for emergency dental appointments and make every attempt to offer same-day treatment whenever possible.
Don’t suffer from dental pain any longer than you have to. Take advantage of our emergency dental care in Las Vegas, NV
Toothaches and dental trauma can be painful, inconvenient, and even scary. At Elegant Smiles in Las Vegas, NV, Dr. Eileen Huynh and our caring team of dental professionals are committed to protecting your dental health, restoring your smile, and giving you the comfort and peace of mind you deserve with both same-day and after-hours emergency dental appointments available. Don’t wait until it’s too late; call us to schedule your emergency dental visit today.